Char Dham Yatra 2025 Witnesses 12% Dip in First Month: Weather Woes, Geo-Politics, and Messy Registration to Blame, Says SDC Foundation
Dehradun, June 2:
The Char Dham Yatra 2025 has opened on a slower note this season, with a significant 12% dip in the number of pilgrims in its first month compared to the same period last year. As per data compiled by Dehradun-based SDC Foundation, just over 17.17 lakh pilgrims visited the sacred shrines of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri, and Yamunotri in the first 30 days this year. This is over 2.38 lakh less than the 19.56 lakh recorded in the first month of 2024.
Breaking it down, Kedarnath saw the steepest fall in footfall – a 13% drop – with 6.49 lakh pilgrims making the journey this year compared to 7.48 lakh last year. Gangotri followed with a 14% decline, from 3.39 lakh in 2024 to 2.93 lakh this year. Yamunotri’s numbers dropped by 11%, and even Badrinath, usually more accessible, saw a dip of 3%.
So what’s behind this downturn?
“It’s not just one reason,” said Anoop Nautiyal, founder of SDC Foundation. “There’s a mix of factors at play – from the impact of earlier Indo-Pak tensions, to unpredictable weather in the early days of the yatra, to persistent confusion and delays in the registration process.
All these have contributed to this year’s drop.”
Nautiyal stressed that the issues aren’t new, but they’re becoming harder to ignore.
“Pilgrims and travel organizers alike continue to face major hurdles with the registration system. It’s disorganized, chaotic, and often a turn-off for many planning their yatra.”
SDC Foundation, which has been consistently tracking the Char Dham Yatra using official data, had flagged many of these issues last year too. In its 2024 report titled ‘Pathways to Pilgrimage’, the group recommended crowd control measures, a cap on daily footfall based on carrying capacity, and significant improvements in health infrastructure and registration systems.
“The Char Dham Yatra isn’t just a religious journey – it’s also about ensuring safety, ecological balance, and a decent experience for pilgrims.
We’ve repeatedly submitted constructive suggestions based on data and patterns. But planning often starts too late,” Nautiyal added.
He also urged the state government to start planning for the 2026 yatra as soon as the portals close later this year.
“Delaying decisions until March or April is a mistake. If we’re serious about managing the yatra better, preparations must begin in October or November.”
As the 2025 yatra progresses, it remains to be seen whether the pilgrim count picks up pace.
But the early numbers and expert voices like SDC Foundation are already sending a clear message: the path to better pilgrimage lies in timely, data-driven, and sustainable planning.
